Roofs are what protect our homes from the harsh Australian elements throughout the year, and will therefore become weakened and wearied as time progresses. A roof replacement is often necessary, but the process can seem overwhelming to many homeowners, especially when you’re looking at replacing your roof because it has been damaged and your property is exposed. With the right information, however, you can feel confident that the entire process will go smoothly and that you’ll be able to move into your newly-renovated home in no time at all. In this article, the team at Hookys Roofing explore what the roof replacement process looks like from start to finish.
Points to Consider Before You Begin Replacing Your Roof
While there are many factors to consider before you start your roof replacement project, here are three questions to ask yourself first:
- How long do I plan on living in my home?
- What kind of roof style do I want?
- Will it be an addition or replacement roof?
Your answers will help you determine the investment required for a basic or complex roof replacement. If you choose to go with a more complex system, for example, prepare yourself for more involved installation and cost considerations. Alternatively, if damage is limited, then a simple project of repairs and maintenance should suffice.
Decide on the roofing material that best aligns with your taste, the architectural style of your home, and your budget. The ongoing works and timelines can then be managed against the urgency of the roof replacement. It is always best to speak with a roofing expert for an introductory consultation that explores your options.
The Roof Replacement Process
- The roof replacement process will begin by ensuring the surrounding area and walls of the property has been protected with a form of covering, such as tarp. The old roof materteral will then be moved and drip edge will be fitted to prevent water backing up under the new surface, as well as ice and water shields installed over roof decking to prevent harmful build-up of moisture.
- Underlayment is then installed across the surface, followed by the selected roofing material, working from the bottom of the roof upwards.
- Diverters and metal flashings are introduced at specific junctions and sealed with industry sealant. Ridge vents will be installed after this in order to promote ongoing ventilation within the area.
- To finalise the process, roofers will repair any damage or remove debris from the area, leaving the roof to be completed and ready for inhabitants to move back into the property.
For more information on roof replacements, contact the professional roofing experts at Hookys Roofing today on 0408 026 601.
Comments are closed.